In less than a week, faulty electrical wiring in indoor marijuana gardens has caused two apartment fires in Santa Rosa, California.
According to Battalion Chief Mark Basque, the latest blaze yesterday morning destroyed the apartment unit where it began, and also caused smoke and water damage to three others, with an estimated cost of $70,000.
Speaking with reporters from the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, Basque said that the unidentified male tenant had been growing pot in one of his apartment’s bedrooms, though the fire originated in the attic.
The man has been given temporary shelter from the American Red Cross.
Last Wednesday, a separate fire caused around $20,000 in damage to a Santa Rosa duplex where a couple had an indoor garden for medical marijuana. According to Chief Basque, that blaze was sparked by overloaded circuits from the grow-lights being used.
Just one more reason to make medical marijuana dispensaries easier to open and easier to access.
Also, one has to wonder if using LED grow lights would have helped avert the problem, since LEDs use far less power.