• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Og sweetheart

Og sweetheart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:43 AM

Is there any difference or preference for starting new plants? I know seeds can be expensive and unreliable depending on the source. I have heard that clones are better because they are guaranteed to be females, whereas seeds can be hit or miss. I was just wondering what my fellow smokers/growers prefer and why?

#2 coastal newt

coastal newt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 04:00 PM

If you are a patient, a beginning grower, and have access to clones, then clones are the way to go. Clones will get you your medicine more quickly and easy than seeds will. People like seeds because they allow for phenotypic variation, meaning that you never know what you might get. If someone wants a certain strain, they may go the seed route. If someone wants to do breeding, they will go the seed route. It boils down to personal preference.

#3 Og sweetheart

Og sweetheart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:12 AM

That is a good explanation so I can make the best decision when I get ready to grow my own this spring. Last year I got some clones and I had some seeds. I agree the clones did grow faster and got a good crop for a first time grower. The few seeds I planted was a mysterious strain (found them at home) and they turned out to be fairly potent yet the harvest was not as full. I think I will stick to the clones for awhile and thank you for your input.

#4 SkillitHits247

SkillitHits247

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:10 PM

I agree, clones can be the better route for all growers especially if time is of the essence; and can be more affordable. The downfall is sometimes you won't find the strain you want in your area and makes it a little difficult & risky to transport, but when they are clones you can get an idea of how healthy & strong the root system is. As far as potency & yield goes for the clones a lot of the times it has to do with the health & strength of the Mother and the longer she has been producing clones the stronger the clones get, and the yield also has a lot to do with the specific strain too.

#5 420girl

420girl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:38 PM

I got four different strain clones last year and they all did fairly well as far as growth and crop yield. I had never tried clones before but would also recommend them due to the quick growth and easy maintenance. I also think they are more affordable as well.

#6 bubbakush

bubbakush

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:55 AM

With seeds you will get the guaranteed strain you might get some males and some females. Clones you get nowadays ready to flower off the shelf for 10.00, for speed clones are better for a unique strain seeds might be the way to go but will be more work and time.

#7 panred

panred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationCitrus Heights, CA

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:48 PM

I've grown outdoors with seeds and clones during the same season and seeds have always produced larger plants. I've heard this to be true from several long-time growers. Last season, I had four plants over eight feet tall from seed, and none over six feet tall from clone. Some strains certainly grow taller than others--Sativas are typically taller than Indicas, but the one constant I've always observed is stalk size. Seeds seem to produce plants with larger stalks which usually translates into larger plants. Feminized seeds can be purchased. Typically, half of the seeds produce males and the other half female, so time is needed to determine sex of plants. With clones, you usually have a pretty good idea what you will end up with. Seeds produce surprises. Seeds from the same mother can produce different phenotypes of the strain. Last year, I grew three Lemonaid plants from seed, none of which were alike. One was very Indica, one was all Sativa, and one was a nice blend. I think seeds produce stronger, heartier plants, but because one must wait to determine sex and phenotype may vary, many prefer the certainty of clones.

#8 CannaConnoisseur

CannaConnoisseur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:41 PM

I completely agree. With seeds you are able to control 100% how your plant is grown, whereas depending where you get clones you aren't the one who cared for it in the early stages of life and therefore don't know what has been done to it.

Personally I prefer clones because it cuts out the first stages of the growth cycle and a some extra work, but I usually buy a few clones as well as plant a few seeds. Just be careful about what source you get your seeds from. Feminized is the way to go unless you're trying to breed.
I used to live in a room full of mirrors; all I could see was me. I take my spirit and I crash my mirrors, now the whole world is here for me to see.

-Jimi Hendrix

#9 818king

818king

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 01:21 AM

SEEDS all the way if you can get a few seeds of a strain get them, buds always come out better when u weed out the bad genetics to yr liking

#10 lindzzz

lindzzz

• Moderators
  • 585 posts
  • LocationOrange County

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:00 PM

I prefer seeds myself, because even though the sex of the plant is unpredictable, I have found that seeds always yield bigger and better plants. I always try to get seeds that are natural and haven't been feminized because I like to grow organically from start to finish. I was able to grow outside before, which maximizes potential for growth, so that could explain why I had a higher yield than with clones I grew indoor. Most seeds that I have bought at dispensaries have turned out to be female, only one male out of about 20. There aren't a whole lot of dispensaries I know of that have seeds lately; more seem to have clones if anything at all. I agree that clones are a great solution for people who are new at growing. I found it easier my first time growing to focus on only one plant. I did it that way because if I messed it up, it would only be one plant instead of four or five.

#11 CannabisGril

CannabisGril

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:38 PM

I prefer seeds, but do understand how some people would prefer clones a friend of mine has even done better than me with his clones before.

The thought of not knowing is and will always be a fun surprise to me. I can see why he would like knowing what his will be and can on that rare occasion give his garden an advantage.

I have grew very nice and healthier gardens though starting by seeds. :D SO seeds are best.

#12 Medicator

Medicator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 01:12 AM

I was interested to hear that plants from seeds grow taller and produce a larger yield than clones. Like some of you I also like to use clones and seeds. As I become more experienced I might decide to go with some natural, top strain seeds. I'd like to order some for planting very soon. If anyone out there has a good recommendation where I can get some affordable, top quality seeds please post here if you get a chance.

#13 CannaConnoisseur

CannaConnoisseur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:19 PM

Nirvana, Evolution and DJ Short are the only breeders I would bother going through.
I used to live in a room full of mirrors; all I could see was me. I take my spirit and I crash my mirrors, now the whole world is here for me to see.

-Jimi Hendrix

#14 panred

panred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationCitrus Heights, CA

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:40 AM

What a lovely surprise I found yesterday. Long story short, we've had a lot of rain in Sactown. The area of my yard devoted to growing lies low and was getting flooded. I was going to dump some dirt to level, and clean up the muddy mess. Bending down to pull some big weeds, I noticed a beautiful little marijuana plant. Upon further inspection, I found 6 or 7 two-inch babies. Last season, an 8 foot Panama Red/African Queen cross that had a few fertilized flowers that produced seed sat on this area. Don't know who the daddy is, don't really care. Today, I will carefully dig them out to put under some lights. This particular cross, over the seasons, has produced the occasional seed. Every time I plant the seeds, a new pheno is developed. The plant that produced these seeds was a stunning Sativa dom, fruity smelling beauty. Can't wait to see what I get this time.

#15 lindzzz

lindzzz

• Moderators
  • 585 posts
  • LocationOrange County

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:19 AM

What a lovely surprise I found yesterday. Long story short, we've had a lot of rain in Sactown. The area of my yard devoted to growing lies low and was getting flooded. I was going to dump some dirt to level, and clean up the muddy mess. Bending down to pull some big weeds, I noticed a beautiful little marijuana plant. Upon further inspection, I found 6 or 7 two-inch babies. Last season, an 8 foot Panama Red/African Queen cross that had a few fertilized flowers that produced seed sat on this area. Don't know who the daddy is, don't really care. Today, I will carefully dig them out to put under some lights. This particular cross, over the seasons, has produced the occasional seed. Every time I plant the seeds, a new pheno is developed. The plant that produced these seeds was a stunning Sativa dom, fruity smelling beauty. Can't wait to see what I get this time.

That is so lucky! Nature took care of the beginning for you, I hope that they turn out to be an amazing Sativa. And six or seven! I would think finding even one was a miracle, it's so great that it's been raining because otherwise you would have uprooted or buried those babies.

#16 gbennett1

gbennett1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • LocationOrange County

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:41 AM

I prefer seed, because they seem to always have a fatter stock, and seem fuller. But i do not like gambling on whether or not it will be a female or not. Right now i have six clones going and to seeds, well see if the seeds produce more or the clones.

#17 jimbofischer

jimbofischer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:12 PM

clone queen --- www.cqDNA.com --- has best, tallest starts on the PLANET... most are sized like teens
i called them @ 424-209-7746 they had more strains than anyone and 30 day warranty
also with clones, they are guaranteed fem from this company and with regular seeds u never know.
i always wondered if the "feminizing process" can inadvertently cause hermi traits for seeds ... so i stay away, just ONLY rock clones from now on after wasting time on beans that hermied from amsterdam...pshhhh

enJOI

Attached Files

#18 CannaConnoisseur

CannaConnoisseur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:14 PM

clone queen --- www.cqDNA.com --- has best, tallest starts on the PLANET... most are sized like teens
i called them @ 424-209-7746 they had more strains than anyone and 30 day warranty
also with clones, they are guaranteed fem from this company and with regular seeds u never know.
i always wondered if the "feminizing process" can inadvertently cause hermi traits for seeds ... so i stay away, just ONLY rock clones from now on after wasting time on beans that hermied from amsterdam...pshhhh

enJOI

Hermies can occur for any number of reasons, the least likely of which being the feminizing process. Feminizing renders them inorganic, but does not typically create hermies. Hermies are created from stress, bad genetics, etc.

-Jimi Hendrix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users