• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nonoboy

nonoboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:40 PM

New at harvesting. have 4 plants going. healthy, but with white flies on them. need advise as to what to use that will keep the grow safe for me.

#2 lindzzz

lindzzz

• Moderators
  • 585 posts
  • LocationOrange County

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:56 PM

Are they little gnats or are they more like moths? Can you post a pic? That would help us out.

#3 CannaConnoisseur

CannaConnoisseur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:10 PM

If they are fungus gnats (black/dark and small) you should be fine if you are close to harvest. If you are not close to harvest, I would suggest using a neem oil and organic insecticidal soap mixture (Safer's is what I use and can be found at Home Depot or any hydro store) if the plants are in veg. Don't use that if they're in flower, unless you only spray the soil, which actually should help since that is where they lay the eggs. Also, from any hydro store or Home Depot, you can find diatomaceous earth, which you place on the soil and it kill the eggs which are laid into it, thus solving your problem.

If they are white flies however, you need to get rid of those fuckers ASAP or they WILL ruin your entire crop. They are highly destructive and can be ridden with either diatomaceous earth or - better yet, you can buy a species of ladybugs known as Delphastus pusillus, which specifically preys on whiteflies. You can get these at any hydro store. The D. pusillus is your best bet if your ladies are flowering, as they won't hurt the bud or plant, just the whiteflies. Hope this helps and let us know how your grow goes.
I used to live in a room full of mirrors; all I could see was me. I take my spirit and I crash my mirrors, now the whole world is here for me to see.

-Jimi Hendrix

#4 Oldschoolgrower

Oldschoolgrower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:34 PM

You need to check outside your home, along the wall of your room. If there's plants or grass growing there then that' the source of your problem. Pest have a free passageway under the bottom framing plate of your wall and until you seal that off all your efforts will be fruitless.

Seal it up with a can of expanding polyurethane foam. Then use a garden sprayer and go “nuclear” on all the exterior shrubbery with the best spray insecticide you can buy. “Now here's the bad news”. The only real cure for a white fly infestation in a grow room is clear it out and start from scratch.

Pull up your carpet, scour the room and blast it from top to bottom with insecticide. Give all your equipment a good cleaning and blasting as well. Also make sure to cook all your potting soil in an oven to kill all eggs and larvae when you replant.

Then finally, check your air intake because the best place for it is high up on your roof. Climb up in your attic, disconnect your bathroom vent pipe and run your air intake through that. A lower your air intake the greater your potential for sucking flying insects in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users